Hi, writers–I hope you find these thoughts helpful!
Thank you to my Writer in Progress Patrons for making this FAQ possible!
- How do I know if a story idea is good or not?
- Do I need an agent?
- How do I know who to submit my manuscript to?
- What about houses that say no unsolicited submissions?
- How do I write a query/cover letter?
- Can I self-publish my children’s book?
- What’s it like to write and publish children’s books?
- How do I find an illustrator? If you’re writing books for traditional publishers, you do not find your own illustrators. The editor and art director at the publisher are in charge of that, and you will have varying degrees of input depending on the publisher’s policies.
- What writing organization(s) should I join? I recommend SCBWI for all children’s writers. That’s the only global organization I’m aware of specifically for folks who want to write for children and young adults. You can also look at the Authors Guild if you need assistance with contract review and other professional services. There are many other local conferences and groups, but those are the big national/global ones.